Saturday 5 February 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Wk 6 - Radio & Television

Week #6 – Radio & Television
What was your favourite radio or television show from your childhood? What was the program about and who was in it?
Week 6: This challenge runs from Saturday, February 5 through to Friday, February 11 2011

I have never really been much of television fan, preferring to read, that is still the case. As a child we use to have a black and white television, rather than colour as I guess the amount of use it received was minimum. I did use to watch some Blue Peter, which is a well know children's programme here in the UK. I also used to watch the Muppets, which I recall was on the television at 5.15pm on a Sunday. Why I recall those fine details are anyones guess.

Now, I still prefer to read, but do like mystery type programmes, Morse, Lewis and Midsomer Murders, gentle murder mysteries nothing grim and especially violent! I am also rather partial to watching the Agatha Christie based programmes, such as Miss Marple and Poiret. I also like the BBC Who Do you think you are programmes which are usually broadcast yearly. Now with Sky Television I can watch most of the repeats and have a genealogy fix to my hearts content. I also like watching Antiques Roadshow and often glean snippets of information from that.

Radio, I rarely listen to the radio, when I do I prefer Radio 2 and Gold which are broadcast here in the UK. Gold especially is good as I can listen on my iphone. For news and current affairs I am a bit of a Sky News fan.

1 comment:

  1. I had black and white for so many yers. Now I have color, but many times i watch the old black an white movies. Mom had strict bed time and strict time for chores. I started watching a movie and she'd come in and drag me out my my ears to clean the chicken house or weed the potatoes, you know farm work and I'd never see the endings. Now I can. Isn't life wonderful. At least with a book you can pick up where you left off.
    No matter, i went to bed and missed the good stuff, never mind I had started watching.

    However lights were out by a certain time, flashlight under the covers sometimes. But even with black and white it was all we had. music on radio, I loved finding unusal stations on the radio and did that a lot. I loved finding stories on the channels or long eared symphonies, etc. If you can't read, a low radio was good. [Unless she turned the power out. But then transistor radios became the answer.] Now too I like the oldtime channel, and I like discussion shows. and music. They even discuss computers on tv channel and radio. How neat is that.

    I grew up as a young woman with idols, m\Mary Tyler Moores best friend was my idol. I was so happy that Rhoda got her own show. and petty coat junction was my biggest favorite.thanks for chance to post.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...