Thursday 7 April 2011

Blogging A-Z - April Challenge - F is for .....


F is for.....
In Flanders Fields
by John McCrae, May 1915

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Wake up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders Fields


It is an incredibly moving poem and one of my favourites. To read about one of my ancestors who died in the Great War click HERE

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very poignant poem - very moving.

    I took a gander at the info you linked to, regarding your ancestor - very intruiging! I found my Grandfather's WW1 records a while back and downloaded them - all sorts of interesting info there!

    SueH

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful and movin poem.
    My children studied it for History at senior school.

    I have just finished a novel called The Silver Locket by Margaret James. It looks like a romance novel but after reading it one realises it goes deeper into what life was like for soldiers and nurses on the front line in WW1.

    I found the details of my ancestors who died in France in WW1.Very emotional to think of all those who died for us.

    carol

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...