Thursday 7 February 2013

Family History Writing Challenge 2013 - Day 7


Amelia Waddell the Grand Daughter of John King and Mary Budd married Sir Keith Jackson, 2nd Baronet. As I know very little about peerages I wanted to explore this more. I am still wondering how they met, although it was probably a grand 19th Century ball in India.

Keith Jackson, 2nd Baronet was the son of Sir John Jackson, 1st Baronet. He was born on 30th December 1763 in Kingston Jamaica to John Jackson and Hannah Coverley.

He married Charlotte Spry Gorham, herself a widow on 13th February 1797. Between 1797 and 1806, John and Charlotte had 6 children. Charlotte died on 30th June 1807 in Sidmouth Devon, which is about 30 miles from where I currently live.

John died on 17th May 1820 at Bellmoor House, Hampstead London. He was a director of the Honourable East India Company and held office as a Member of Parliament for Dover in Kent. He was also private secretary to Lord Keith. He was created 1st Baronet Jackson of Arsley Bedfordshire on 22nd May 1815.

There are many move avenues that I can research here -
  • Why was he given a peerage?
  • Details of his time as an MP for Dover 
  • What was Charlotte doing in Devon in 1807?
  • Presumably, he showed respect for his employer by naming his first son after him?
  • His time in India - he was a contemporary of George Bridges Bellasis, who was the husband of Esther King who started off this whole piece of research.
The title of the book I have been working on involving the children of John King and Mary Budd I nicked named "Those King Girls" and I rather think I like the title, it seems to sum up the whole complex tale.

3 comments:

  1. You may have to clone yourself Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte was I think dying of TB a common event of the time. She is my GGG grandmother via her son John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, Great of you to stop by and leave a comment. Thanks for the details of Charlotte's death, I had not looked into this further.

      If you have been reading the thread of the earlier posts, you will see the connection I have to the Jackson line is through Amelia King who married George Waddell. This is a fascinating line.

      Delete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...