Tuesday 10 September 2013

Tuesday's Tip - Hay Festival Audio Library

Castle Bookshop - May 2006
I had always wanted to go to Hay-on-Wye, a book lovers paradise and I did in 2006, twice. For a weekend in May and for a week in October.

There is something rather innocent about the ethos of the Castle Bookshop and the outside bookshelves, open to the elements.

Castle Bookshop Honesty Box - May 2006

The books here are not free, but 20p a book and are what I would call disposable. They are a wacky decoration meanwhile, available should someone want to by one as they stroll the streets on a spring evening. They probably don't sell that many although I bought 3 books from these shelves!, but in case they do they can leave payment in the honesty box. See what I mean about innocent?

I digress.

The book festival, which takes place in Hay during the Spring is famous and every now and again a newsletter plops into my inbox.

The latest edition directed me to the podcast page where you can download a variety of the informal events held during the festival week. Here you can listen to or download for free an amazing amount of fascinating accounts by some leading and not so leading authors. I caught up with the podcasts of Bill Bryson from 2010 for example.

There are more recent podcasts available. Use the filter function and you can go back to 1995 for the UK Festival and there are overseas festival available too.

What I hadn't realised was that the Hay Festival is in fact replicated around the globe, including one in Kenya which is where one of my book loving genealogy friends will be during the festival. Now, far be from me to suggest they attend......but why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...