Saturday 6 July 2013

The Book of Me, Written by You

The Book of Me, Written by You is an opportunity to remember, explore and rediscover things and memories of our own and perhaps those relatives you know in addition to sharing oral history. Ultimately, this is the creation of a legacy for the future.

The Book of Me prompts series began online in August 2013. The prompts were published weekly starting 31st August 2013 . The prompts ran weekly until the end of December 2014. They were delivered completely randomly.

There is no right or wrong way to create your book of me.

It can be illustrated however you chose. I would recommend using copies rather than original photographs if you elect to create a physical book, in perhaps scrapbook style, or as a series of blog posts.

I would though recommend that perhaps you share information with caution if using a blog as your book of me. Perhaps the option is to create a structured book, I would suggest in loose leaf format and share some parts on line.

The book of me is a journey. Some of the prompts are basic, others might be emotional and some may be "deep". You do not have to complete all the prompts and you may choose to substitute some prompts. I would recommend you date your individual writings.

There is further information on my website such as


This whole process has been written by myself and delivered as a series of workshops. At the workshops there was a huge amount of discussion and as this has been tweaked I have created a Face Book group to facilitate the discussions. You can join that group HERE

The Face Book group is currently set to closed, allowing comments and discussions to be private among those who are members of the group. Members can share as much and as little as they choose.


19 comments:

  1. This sounds very interesting. I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Kristin, wonderful to have you on board!

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:39 pm

    Wonderful!!! Thanks for doing this Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will look forward to this, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a brilliant idea!

    I got a book for my birthday...

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Life-Story-Diary-Black/dp/B001OIXVXK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373464086&sr=8-1&keywords=my+life+story

    So this could be just what i need to make a start on it :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vikki, that book looks great. Welcome aboard! Are you joining the Facebook group? Link above!

      Delete
  7. Oooh...I am intrigued and look forward to hearing more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a post today about I am keeping my book. Go on, join us, you know you want too!

      Delete
    2. Looking forward to your posts. I started something similar a while back but need a kick in the pants to move ahead. Thank you so much.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous5:03 pm

    jumping on board - sounds good:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome!

      Prompt one is at http://anglersrest.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/the-book-of-me-written-by-you-prompt-1.html and prompt 2 will go live just after midnight UK time.

      Delete
  9. This sounds a fascinating project. Until I joined Geneabloggers, I never thought of my memories being part of my family history, but I enjoyed previous prompts encouraging bloggers to write these down. I have started developing these posts into a word document called "I remember when.....". Your project will spur me onto doing more with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great Sue. We are at the end of the second week and on Saturday the third prompt will be released. You can still join in and their is a very active facebook group.

      Delete
  10. Although I am way late for starting this, I would love to join in. I saw a post about it recently at Geneabloggers.

    Do you have a button or image that you would like us to use to identify our Book of Me posts, or should I create one of my own?

    Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne,

      The BOM badge is the one shown here. There is a rather active Facebook Group and a Google Community which is where I host the hangouts on air.

      Have a look at the webpage as this has links to the site mentioned. http://www.anglers-rest.net/book-of-me-written-by-you.html

      You can join at anytime!

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and choosing to leave a message. I read every message and I usually reply via the comment thread. Posts are currently moderated due to the sudden influx of spam postings!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...